Wednesday, June 01, 2005

ERV Boxscore for June 1, vs. Atlanta

What comes around, goes around. The bullpen magic finally fizzles -- what is it with us giving up runs after getting the first two guys out in the inning? You can't let up against teams like the Braves. We still have a chance to take the series tomorrow, and that would help ease the pain of this one.

Notes:

-- I've been meaning to post on this, but Julio Franco is incredible. 47 years old, he can still hit, and he's playing the National League, where he sometimes PLAYS FIRST BASE! And, I say this with the utmost respect: he looks a lot like Krusty the Klown.

-- My frustration (and obsession, clearly) with the sac bunt continues, because I was screaming for Frank to order Wilkerson to bunt. Why? Because all of the conditions are right: (1) He strikes out a lot; (2) He's not fast, and could be doubled up; (3) He also would likely fly out and not advance the runner; (4) we can afford to limit that inning to 1-run. I know he is a good hitter, and that must be what Frank was thinking, but that was the time to use the bunt.

-- Oh, well. Maybe tomorrow it will be our backup shortstop who plays unexpectedly and has a terrific game. Oh, that's right, we don't have a backup shortstop, and our front-liner hits like me in the medium speed batting cage at Upton Hills. Boy, where is Juan Encarnacion when you need him?

ERV Win: Betemit
ERV Loss: Wilkerson

3 Most Valuable Plays:
(1) Betemit's HR in the 8th (3.85)
(2) Wilkerson's GIDP in the 9th (-2.83)
(3) Giles' Single in the 9th (2.07)


Click on boxscore for larger image

2 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Chris Needham said...

Wilkerson as the goat definitely makes sense.

Why is it that the one time we'd take the strikeout, he doesn't do it? :)

I really wanted to see Cordero go yard there just to see the defensive lineup in the 10th. I'm guessing Blanco would've shifted to second, and Cordero would've played third? Who knows.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger DM said...

I think you commented while I was editing the post. As I noted, his propensity for strikeouts would prompt me, Mr. Anti-Bunt, to call for a SAC there.

Wilkerson has been one of the few disappointments on the club so far this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home