Friday, February 18, 2005

Nats Radio 2005

The Washington Post reports that Nats games will be heard this year on two Bonneville-owned DC stations: (1) night games will be heard on adult contemporary station Z104 - WWZZ 104.1 FM (#6 on my presets); and (2) day games will be heard on WFED 1050 AM. I had never even heard of WFED before, much less listened to it.

I note several aspects of this deal. The split between two stations can be frustrating for fans of the Nationals. The Wizards, reputedly tired of being shuffled between Sportstalk 980 and 1260, this year are on 1260 AM only. So there is significant downside to being on two stations - fans can forget where they can find their teams.

The good news is that Z104 has a good signal that I can hear pretty much everywhere I go in DC. In addition, it's only a one-year deal, meaning that the Nats may find a more permanent (AM) home next year. There's just something about AM radio and baseball that makes sense.

Interestingly enough, the Nats are doing their radio deal as a we-purchase-the-air-time-and-sell-the-advertisements-model. This could be very interesting. My own thought is that the team will have many of its fans at the games in the first couple of years, and that the Nats will need either some success or 5-10 years to grow really deep roots in the community that generates radio success.

Meanwhile, check out Dave's rant at DCRTV arguing for an FM-sports-talk station in DC. Previously, Dave had argued for WJFK-FM to go all sports talk with the Redskins and Nationals, but now he argues for Z104 to go all sports talk. Personally, I think sports talk in DC would be pretty good if you had a lineup of the Junkies, Tony Kornheiser and Steve Czaban, but it probably would be tough to get them all under one roof - especially a Bonneville roof at that (Junkies are Infinity, Kornheiser and Czaban are Clear Channel).

4 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Chevy Chase, MD, and get just static and a slight signal, even with digital tuning, on 104.1. I actually get 1050 better. I had the impression from one article that ALL the games would be on 1050, and the ones mentioned ALSO on the 104.1 FM station I cannot pick up at home. (OF course, I have XM, so can listen that way.)

 
At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I had the impression from one article that ALL the games would be on 1050, and the ones mentioned ALSO on the 104.1 FM station I cannot pick up at home."

this is right. all games will be on 1050. 120 i think are on z104. i get z104 perfectly from my perch in springfield, as well as all around fairfax county and up the beltway to rockville, md.

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something of interest inregards to WFED.

This Mike Vechery guy got his show canceled this week because he asked Frank Robinson about putting asterisks on hitters implicated with steroids. Could it be... censorship?

Well, what was ironic is that they cut him off in mid show, and put on something about censorship in radio and media. I wish I had recorded because it would have been great.

I kind of feel bad for what happened so I posted it around couple of Nat's blogs. There might be a story here, I don't know.

Anyway, here’s his site with their press release if anyone's interested:
http://www.1050realestate.com/

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to this Vechery issue, it has a radio component so writing Dave Hughes of the DCRTV.com media site (something I've done more than I care to admit) would be an idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home