Thursday, June 22, 2006

Baseball on Television

This post, which appears to reprint a Thomas Sowell column from 2002, has a lot of good thoughts about baseball on television. My favorite point asks why we never see a camera angle that shows the whole field. I'd be perfectly happy if the standard angle was from high behind the plate, perhaps with an inset showing the traditional "behind the pitcher" angle so you can see the pitches. I'm looking forward to this weekend's game between the Nats and O's because I'll be sitting behind the plate upper deck, which has become my favorite place to watch a game, because you can see the whole field, and judge the distances and angles best among runner, fielder and ball, which are indispensible to evaluating many plays.

Hat tip: Dan Agonistes

1 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly agree. Today, with the improved telephoto lens, telecasters have taken advantage of the technology to the detriment of the game. It's just the same with all types of broadcasting where the camera work has become too fancy and instead of seeing more, you see far less.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home