Saturday, July 09, 2005

ERV Boxscore for July 8, at Philadelphia

Many people use the phrase "Pyrrhic victory" to simply mean an "empty" victory, or one that is not a victory at all. The historic context to the phrase gives a more nuanced definition. The problem for Pyrrhus, a Greek king in 280 BC or so, was that his generals expended so many forces in one battle with the Romans he knew they had nothing left to actually win the war.

Why this Sen. Robert Byrd-like filibuster? Because tonight's win was a true Pyrrhic victory. We expended so much of the bullpen, I'm not sure we can expect to win another before the break, unless Patterson and Loaiza go old school on us and throw 9 innings each. As Pyyrhus would say, "Another such victory over the [Phillies] and we are undone."


2 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger DM said...

Yeah, I stretched my conclusion a bit to fit the analogy, but I still think if we get into the bullpen tomorrow, we lose.

The three days off is a tremendous help right now.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger DM said...

Dexys,

I'm not one to say "I told you so", but

I told you so!

There was no chance of us winning those games if we had to rely on our bullpen. Friday's night win was truly a Pyrrhic victory for this series!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home