Thursday, August 18, 2005

ERV Boxscore for August 18 (Evening), at Philadelphia

In the third inning, after Utley's homer, I thought "Why in God's name am I looking to Ryan Drese to win a big game for us?" In the 5th, when we close to 4-3, I thought, so another 1-run loss. Then, in the 6th, when Frank burns Ryan Church again (in more ways than one), so that Tony Blanco has to pinch hit with RISP, I tell my wife: "Four big swings, one foul, one K, end of inning."

So when we start hitting Urbina hard in the seventh, I wasn't ready for it. Hell, even Dave Huppert was cookin' that inning. Suddenly, we're up 5-4, the cynicism shades fall from my eyes, and I'm watching a June ballgame again. Frank does the right thing by bringing Cordero in early, and we win.

How big was this game? In our Playoff Chase section, were tracking whether the Nats keep up to a 3 out of 5 pace. If they had lost this one, they would've needed the next 5 out of 6 to keep pace. Now, they need only win tomorrow against the Mets, and 3 of 5 after that. We dodge a bullet, for sure.

ERV Win: Cordero, Vidro, Baerga, Wilson
ERV Loss: Urbina & Burrell

3 Most Valuable Plays:
(1) Wilson's single in the 8th (2.20)
(2) Vidro's double in the 5th (1.81)
(3) Baerga's single in the 8th (1.65)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home