Sunday, May 21, 2006

ERV Boxscores -- Closed for Renovations

You might have noticed that I have not been providing ERV boxscores the past few days. The time has come for me to bite the bullet and convert to a database program instead of using Excel to keep the data and produces the boxscores. The bad news is that this will require me to develop a database in MySQL and convert my Excel code, which I cannot do an keep updating the boxscores on a regular basis. The good news is that after this is complete, the system should be a lot more powerful. Some advantages I anticipate include:
  • more timely publication of boxscores
  • more complete fielding values assigned
  • more interesting analyses of the data
  • historical ERV boxscores and analysis (possible, not certain)
  • ERV values for teams beyond the Nats (possible, not certain)
Unfortunately I do not have an estimate of how long this will take. But my first experiments with MySQL have gone well, and if I can devote serious time to it, I am optimistic. Thank you in advance for being patient.

4 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does "more complete fielding values" include? Or do I just have to wait and see? :)

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger DM said...

I'm reasonably confident I will be able to assign RV/WV for routine plays, and accurately divy up "defensive" RV/WV between pitcher and fielders. It will all still be objective, with no "great" plays or second guessing of official scorers. But a guy who makes a lot of routine plays will earn more credits.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a Nats blog and I don't comment very often, but I just wanted to let you know that I miss your boxscores. I often come here just to look for them, so I hope they're back soon. I also like it when you break out the winner and loser and the top three plays and miss those features when it's just the box score. I just wanted to let you know that some of us out here are quietly reading your blog and do appreciate your work.

-Cass

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger DM said...

Well, Cass, you get what you pay for. ;)

Seriously, thanks for the kind note, and for appreciating the boxscores. But the reality is with my travel schedule and other commitments, I need to develop a way to automate their production so I can publish them regularly. I will also probably be able to automate the ERV Win and 3 most valuable plays stuff, and I'm thinking about publishing a "ERV Scoresheet" for each game.

The good news is that the past two days I've really made progress on the MySQL front, and I'm optimistic it won't be long before they're back. Thanks for being patient.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home