Sunday, April 16, 2006

The post I didn't have to write

It's no secret that we here at Nats Blog, and myself in particular, have been big proponents of having Ryan Church on the Nats MLB roster and starting the vast majority of games. However, I have to say that around 1:30 this afternoon, I really did start to think to myself "Have I been backing a bad horse all this time"?

In the top of the first, with a man on second and two outs, Ryan Church struck out. And badly. On (I believe) 3 pitches. Against a guy with a career ERA of 5.90. Which made him 0 for 6 since his call-up with 4 Ks. And over the span of a minute or two, I thought: What if they were right that he should have played through pain last year? And why when faced in competition in Spring Training did he perform so badly? And what was up with that excuse for performing badly that infuriated the front office and Frank so much ("I'm worn down"--you're in your mid 20's and it's Spring Training)? And why since he was sent to the minors was he doing his best Cristian Guzman impersonation? And finally, why when actually given his job back has he looked so dreadful? I started doubting, Ryan. I really did.

Anyway...thank you for hitting two home runs over the next two hours, winning the game for the Nats, and making it so that I didn't have to write that post with such doubts still intact. I hope you make Frank cringe again and again by hitting the crap out of the ball and shoving his insults back in his face.

1 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

been a church fan since 2000 when he started w/mahoning valley scrappers and was mvp of new york penn league. been a non fan {as manager} of frank robinson since he was in cleveland and ran gaylord perry out of town. time to retire frank robinson.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home