Saturday, September 10, 2005

How can this boost confidence?

Yes, it has been a long time since I posted. I was away without any internet or phone access on vacation.

I promise to post more next week, but in the meantime...

Frank Robinson stated here that if Cristian Guzman was sitting at .1995 going into the final game/s of the season, he would sit him, so that his final season average would be rounded up and go into the books as .200. Why? Because, Frank said, it would be a big boost to Cristian's confidence to have his final average at .200.

Ok, does anyone see the flaws in this logic?
A) It is saying "you suck so bad, and you don't even realize it. So, I am going to do what I can to make you feel good about it. Now, over the offseason, you can proudly state 'I had a .200 average last year! And I was so good that the manager sat me the last game!"
B) It is saying, "you suck SOOOO bad, that if I gave you the chance to play in the last game, I am pretty sure you wouldn't get a single hit, which is all you would need to keep that average over .200 anyway."
B2) I mean, I don't approve of a guy being sat if his average is .401 either, but at least there you can say the guy has to have a pretty solid game to keep his average above .400, unlike here.
C) Hey Frank. Here's an idea! He's hitting .201 now. Start sitting him!! That way you can assure that his average will stay above .200, and we as fans don't have to watch him suck. Pretty amazing that you won't sit a guy to help the team you manage win, but you will sit him to artificially make his numbers look better for his "confidence."

2 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger El Gran Color Naranja said...

Does that mean if he's hitting 0.1994 he gets to play? What kind of f-ed-up Bizarro World is Frank dreaming he's managing in?

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Raphy said...

I'd rather the Nats play Cruz anyway

 

Post a Comment

<< Home