Friday, June 24, 2005

Wearing third-party gear

So, I have spent a good deal of energy in my life sneering at folks who wear hats or jerseys to ballgames that don't represent either of the teams playing.
In my opinion, of course, supporting the home team is expected and appreciated, and I respect those who wear the garb of the visiting team, especially when done in a hostile park. But I have never understood someone going to say, a Nats-Phillies game and wearing a Yankees cap.

That being said, tomorrow, my college buddy is having me and my family to a suite at the Red Sox -Phillies game. I will be rooting for the Red Sox, mostly because I want the Phils to lose ground to the Nats. But it occurred to me: The only cap I would wear would be a Nats cap. It then quickly occurred to me that I am a hypocrite.

So, quick reaction--was my previous line of thinking wrong and I should go with my Nats cap? Or better to wear no cap and just root for the Sox?

9 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger D said...

Wear no cap = Sunburn.

Wear Nats cap, but bring some other insignia (t-shirt, pin, pennant) indicating your support for the Red Sox. That'll cover ya.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Sam said...

I think you were wrong. For some folks, their team is a little part of their identity, and they wear it everywhere. It's a way of connecting with fellow travelers, and broadcasting a fun and sort of interesting thing about yourself. I think that applies wherever, including ballparks where "your" team doesn't happen to be playing.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger dexys_midnight said...

fair enough. I am willing to believe that I was wrong on this one.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger SuperNoVa said...

Quite frankly, not sure about this rule. After all, John Belushi wore a sweatshirt with "C O L L E G E" on it in Animal House.

I wore my White Sox cap to a World Series game. I went to the game because I wanted to take in the majesty of the World Series. It didn't make me a fan of another team. I was a White Sox fan enjoying the World Series, which is much more honest than a White Sox fan pretending to be a Red Sox fan.

So, if you are there to watch a game and enjoy baseball, you can wear whatever hat you like. You're a Nats fan, you should wear a Nats hat.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger wolff said...

what i have trouble with are people who have lived in dc for 20 years and still wear their st louis cardinals garb to nats games...or people who are from allentown but root for the phillies even though they have lived in dc for over 10 years..

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger DM said...

"I wore my White Sox cap to a World Series game."

No need to explain that this was not a World Series in which the White Sox were involved.

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger DM said...

"I wore my White Sox cap to a World Series game."

No need to explain that this was not a World Series in which the White Sox were involved.

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger DM said...

Wear the Nats cap ... you don't live in Philly, you are a visitor, you can wear your team's cap ... wolff has it right ... if you lived in Philly and wore your Nats cap, that would be annoying.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Brian said...

As long as it's only the cap and not the entire Nats ensemble ... I see no problem with wearing the cap. I don't understand the people who wear their Yankee jersey, cap and jacket to a Nats game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home