Wednesday, January 05, 2005

P-P-P-Playoffs???

For those of you out there who watched any of the *cough* "national championship" last night....Was it just me or did it seem like the announcers had a gun to their heads, as if they ever mentioned the word "playoff," they would be ejected from their booth. They essentially spent 4 hours trying to convince the audience over and over that they were watching the correct matchup. One of my favorite parts was when they said that USC was the clear #1 because: we all know (do we??) how much better Oklahoma is than Auburn, and USC is crushing Oklahoma.

I'm not going to say that I know how a bowl feels to fans and to the players. I'm from the Northeast, like many of you, where we believe that college football is mostly an afterthought to the NFL, and that the NCAA Tournament for college basketball is the far and away #1 college sporting event to watch. That being said, if there was a college football tournament/playoff, I'd watch it.

The BCS is simply a joke at this point, especially now that the AP is pulling out of it because being in the BCS "undermines its integrity" and coaches clearly used politics and traded votes and favors to get certain teams put ahead of others. You can't tell me that Auburn, who went undefeated, beat top 10 teams 4 times during the season, beat the defending national champs, LSU, won a very tough conference and then beat another top conference's champion doesn't even deserve a shot because the arbitrary BCS says so?? Or that Utah--who we all know that the BCS was hoping would be killed by Pittsburgh saving the BCS people embarassment over degrading Utah by putting them against Pitt--who also went undefeated and then killed their bowl opponent, doesn't deserve a shot against the big boys? Oh, and those voters who voted Oklahoma over Utah this morning (most of them): shame on you. This good ol' boy system needs to end immediately to give the fans what they ask for overwhelmingly in just about every straw poll out there.

Have a playoff or don't bother talking in terms of undisputed national champions.

3 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger tmk67 said...

What are you talking about? It certainly seemed like a championship game, with Ashlee Simpson lip-syncing and the Up-With-People Dancers. I mean, Kelly Clarkson wouldn't participate in any contrived contest, involving computer tabulation of votes etc. that is designed to equate one interpretation of polularity into a "winner"...Would she?

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger El Gran Color Naranja said...

Did I ever mention that I HATE playoffs? Or more precisely I hate the idea that playoffs will give you are "truer" champion than regular season standings. I love watching playoffs.

Oh, I could go on for paragraphs (and maybe will at some point) about it but basically most sports can easily determine the champion without a playoff. The keys are balanced schedule and enough games.

However, after all my thinking about it, spurned on by the BCS, I came to the conclusion that out of all sports college footabll can justify having playoffs the most. You have a large number of teams (100+ easy) and a tiny number of games (10-12 generally). This means few common opponents and a tiny amount of head to head games outside of conferences. This makes comparison of teams little more than a guessing game.

Yet, I still support the BCS. I guess because I'd like to see playoffs really cut down in other sports first (like we need 16 teams in NBA or NHL playoffs) before we lose the last non-playoff system. What can I say, I'm a complicated man.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger DM said...

I think I agree with you, El Gran, on playoffs. I have always been fascinated by the way soccer does it in Europe and elsewhere. There are no playoffs, just parallel competitions (league and cup) that run at the same time. "League" is like our regular season, best record over a full schedule is the winner. "Cup" is an elimination tournament, like our playoffs, but all teams start in it, and it is unrelated to the standings in the league. (The FA Cup in England is famous because even semi-pro clubs have a shot (however remote) at winning it -- a bit like our NCAA hoops tournement involving all colleges that field a team). What's interesting to me is that winning the League is prized higher than winning the Cup competitions, which is as it should be IMHO. So, El Gran, you're not complicated, just European! (g)

Although I can't stand the Braves, their making the playoffs for 13 straight years is an incredible accomplishment overshadowed by our focus on playoffs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home